Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tomorrow is the big day!



Well, tomorrow is the big day. At 9 AM, I push my canoe into the Broad River at the N.C 150 Bridge and begin my journey downstream to the Atlantic Ocean. It's taken a lot of preparation, planning, and stress just to get to this point, and now I am just looking forward to a relaxing boat ride. Seriously, my primary emotion tomorrow will be relief as I finally put the oar in the water for the first time.

Last night I mapped every mile of the rivers and lakes I will be traversing on my map software, including all the twists and turns, and the exact distance I measured is 270 miles. Of those many miles, I have personally seen or experienced close to zero. This is a real exploration for me and I hope you get that same sensation of discovery as you follow me here.

One way we can truly share this experience together is by having you take advantage of the interactive features of this site. Even though I may be out on a remote river or lake, you can still ask questions of me and my trip by leaving a comment. I will answer as soon as possible through the site. If you have any additional information about a feature or place I have talked about or will eventually travel through, by all means, let us all know about it!

See you on the river!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude! Have A great trip! I hope that I can meet up with you on the water in a couple of weeks.

L8r,

Jerry Greer

Anonymous said...

WooHoo!

LeannGreene said...

Way to go man-using this kind of forum and the videos you will be taking us working schmucks with you!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for some real river reports...good luck!

Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you lots of good light!!
Keep the cameras dry!!

Thomas R

Anonymous said...

A couple of questions for ya!
How long is the trip going to take?
Are you on a schedule? If so what is it like?
Why a canoe instead of a kayak?

Anonymous said...

What a great plan. Wish it was me. I'll be telling folks about your trip.

Unknown said...

Hi Richard,

I just wanted to comment on your River Venture project and your very cool web site about it.

Just FYI- I have been a volunteer river guide with the Edisto River Canoe & Kayak Trail for over 20 years. I'm an ACA certified paddling instructor. And I've taught river rescue classes to State Parks personnel and others.

I think your project is interesting and is obviously getting some good press. I expect some school groups may be following your journey.

However, I have a serious concern... Your equipment list does not include a PFD, nor do your photos show you wearing one. We have worked for over 20 years to help make paddling a safer sport. We always require participants on our trips to wear a PFD, as we do, on every trip, every time, no matter how hot, no matter how accomplished a swimmer one may be (several of us are also lifeguards or divers). As we explain, it's like wearing a seat belt. It does you no good to buckle it after you've been involved in a crash.

I would hope you would agree and know that you are setting an example for both adults and children.

Best wishes with your journeys and your project.

Jim Wescott

Riverventure said...

Hey Jim! Thanks for the great feedback. On behalf of Richard I want you to know that he does have a pfd and will be using it in deeper waters, although we acknowledge he should wear it at all times! It has also been added to the equipment list.

Thanks again for dropping by and providing insight on the importance of water safety.

Riverventure